Friday, September 25, 2009

1st time performing CPR

Today, as usual I was scheduled in the Emergency Room. I though it was going to be a slow thursday. around 11ish a patient went into cardiac arrest and the staff was performing CPR. The officer there said "you ready to get in?"
lab tech goes "yeah get ready (laughing)."
rad tech says "imma point at you if they need help."
-I just laugh it off thinking that it was joke. then the nurse says
"get ready you need to take over."
-i said " really, are you serious?"
she says "yeah glove up and get in there."
-so i gloved up, got in and took over.
the ekg tech said push hard because he was a heavy patient. i needed to use my strength. All through my mind i thought to myself, "what if i break his ribs?" instead i performed my job, dr. told me to HOLD COMPRESSION. he felt for a pulse simply said. that's it, not much more we can do for him. and the patient passed.

3 minutes later another code came in and again they were performing cpr on this patient. ekg tech asked if i wanted to get in, i said "yeah i'll do it since i'm fresh, you were giving compressions thru that whole cycle, i'll take over."
emt said "you ready, got it after me?"
-i simply replied and feeling the adrenalin rush through my body i said "yes i got you." then i took over and did a couple compressions. Dr. stopped me once again and said, i think i got something. The patients pulse started up again and he was revived.

It's crazy how I'll talk to other hospital employees and some will say they have never done cpr except on a dummy, and just my luck I had to perform twice today. I guess you can say i'm 1 for 2. pretty crazy.

***Thank you God for carrying me through this excperience and giving me the strength i needed to stay focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment